• Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest

Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 8 months ago #1047

• smudger
  • Fresh Boarder
Just got this from my step daughter who live in Maulden.

Good news
Following an extremely long day at CBC, we are pleased to confirm that Site 20 is not being put forward as one of the recommended sites to form part of the Gypsy and Traveller Local Plan. This is absolutely fabulous news for the residents of Maulden and Ampthill.

Pitch Requirements
It was agreed (following an awful lot of discussion!) that there is a requirement for 157 pitches up until 2031 (please note this is one site less than originally envisaged - following checks made of those on CBC's waiting list for a pitch, it was agreed that this produced a requirement of 14 not 15 additional pitches). The Sustainable Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee (the "Committee") agreed the compound growth rate of 2.5% (and not 3%). As such, the Committee agreed that going forward, there would be a requirement for the following number of pitches in each period:

2014 - 2018 (Period One) = 65 pitches
2019 - 2023 (Period Two) = 31 pitches
2024 - 2028 (Period Three) = 36 pitches
2028 - 2031 (Period Four) = 25 pitches

Recommended Sites
The Committee has recommended the following sites to be included in the draft Gypsy and Traveller Local Plan:

Site 16 - Land West of A6, South of Faldo Road and West of Barton-le-Clay
- 5 pitches in Period One/ 5 pitches in Period Two

Site 55 - Land South East of Park Corner Farm and South of Dunton
- 5 pitches in Period One/ 5 pitches in Period Two

Site 58 - Land East of Potton Road and South of Ram Farm
- 5 pitches in Period One/5 pitches in Period Two

Site 76 - Land South East of Park Corner Farm and South of Dunton
- 5 pitches in Period One/5 pitches in Period Two

Site 78 - Land East of M1, Tingrith (existing site)
- 4 pitches in Period One

Site 92 - Land E of Watling Street and S of Dunstable (existing site)
- 1 pitch in Period One/8 pitches in Period Two

Site 116 - 1 Old Acres, Barton Road, Pulloxhill (existing site)
- once the issues in relation to the 8 pitches currently on the site have been resolved, 3 pitches in Period One with a further 2 in Period Two

When is the next meeting?

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 8 months ago #1049

• admin
  • Administrator
From the CBC website:

There will be a formal public consultation starting in May / June 2013. This consultation will be open for six weeks.

We will publicise the consultation.

You can register for a letter or email to invite you to take part in the consultation by registering with the Strategic Planning and Housing Team. To do so, email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or phone 0300 300 4353.

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 8 months ago #1053

• admin
  • Administrator
There is an open public meeting being held at:

Thursday 7th March
St Nicholas Church Hall
7.30pm

I have no further information on this meeting.

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 8 months ago #1056

If you read the BLC proposed Traveller Sites on Facebook, you'll see that Nadine Dorries has confirmed that she will be attending the meeting. This is an excerpt from her blog (cut n pasted from the afore-mentioned fb site!) :

Gypsy and Traveller Sites in Mid Bedfordshire
Posted Monday, 25 February 2013 at 10:33

"I passed some Gypsies and travellers the other day and thought I would take a couple of pictures. It’s not how I choose to live but I respect their wish to live as they want.
If they applied for a pitch in Mid Bedfordshire to help them through the winter, before they travelled on, I wouldn't object.

What I do object to though is people who use the ethnic grouping classification of 'gypsy and traveller' to apply to live in some of the most prestigious villages in Bedfordshire when, in fact, I travel more than most of the applicants do.

One recent G+T applicant in Bedfordshire who applied for a pitch was discovered to be a home owner in Leicestershire.
My surgery on Friday was long, fractious and dominated by residents complaining about the fact that Central Bedfordshire is being forced to allocate yet more G+T sites.
Not one of the proposed sites is anywhere near public transport, employment opportunities, health care facilities, or schools.

If genuine G+Ts wish to settle down then may I suggest they do what the rest of the British population have to do. You need to get a job and save up for a number of years before you can expect to live in villages like those which have been proposed in Central Beds.

The people who live in those villages are able to do so because they worked hard, saved up and aspired to move to a rural location. You need to do the same.

One householder in Maulden has been advised by an estate agent, now that the site has been proposed, he would have to virtually give his house away if he wanted to sell it.
The house is his pension, he wants to downsize but now he can't. Having brought up his family he now faces his retirement in a large house with big bills and decreasing disposable income for no other reason than a site has been proposed at the back of his house.
Even if the proposed site is struck off and doesn't get to the final cut, the damage is still done until something of some description is built at the back of his house to remove the possibility of it becoming a G+T site in the future.

Central Bedfordshire has taken more than its fair share of G+T sites whereas other areas haven't. It’s time for other councils to step up to the plate and do their bit."

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 8 months ago #1057

• LisaB
  • Junior Boarder
newbartonite wrote:
If you read the BLC proposed Traveller Sites on Facebook, you'll see that Nadine Dorries has confirmed that she will be attending the meeting....."

oo we will be graced with a visit from her ladyship, I guess she has been told that there will be a camera crew from the tv there by someone?

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 8 months ago #1059

• trilogy2k
  • Junior Boarder
admin wrote:
Many thanks to the reader who has pointed me in the direction of the broadcast.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014l3nn
the section is 1:02 in.

Didn't really learn anything new but it was good to get it out there considering 3CR can be heard far beyond our immediate area. The main thing I've taken away from listening to the whole programme is how misinformed, argumentative and annoying Iain Lee is.
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by trilogy2k.

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 8 months ago #1062

• admin
  • Administrator
short section as aired in ITV last night...

www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2013-03-1...il-is-not-listening/

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 7 months ago #1064

• admin
  • Administrator
We are cross posting all the information (as we get it) on the continuing application to site several Gypsy and Traveller camps in our area.

For the latest information please the largest action group:
Barton Residents Action Group
blctravellernews.com/

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 7 months ago #1065

• admin
  • Administrator
Yesterday BBC1 aired ' The Big Questions' which had a section in relation to the issues of 'Gypsy's' and racism. Nadine Dorries was a panel member and briefly mentioned Barton.

The program can be view on BBC I Player here:
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s1kgs/T...Series_6_Episode_14/

The section is approximately 45 minutes in.

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 4 months ago #1078

• DickBarton
  • Fresh Boarder
The consultation period for the Gypsy and Traveller local plan closes this evening at 5pm. Please make sure your opinion is counted by filling in the form on the Central Bedfordshire website linked below or emailing your comments to the address shown there. You can use your previous comments or take your pick from the comments on the various door-drop leaflets we've had on the subject. Every opinion counts so please take 5 minutes to send them in TODAY.

Gypsy and Traveller Local Plan
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
You are here: Village discussion forum