• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest

Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites

Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 9 months ago #966

It doesn't seem to be common knowledge that Central Bedfordshire Council have not one but two proposed permanent sites planned for the village in addition to the third one due to be positioned up near Speed The Plough on the A6. One site is to be situated off Luton Road at the far end of the playing fields near the Scout Hut and the other off Faldo Road Industrial Estate. All this is being snuck through in a hush-hush way.

Most information can be got from this link:

www.bartonleclay.co.uk/images/Splashes/g....article.feb2013.pdf

The Parish Council's objections can be found here:

www.bartonleclay.co.uk/images/Splashes/r...dt.sites.feb2013.pdf

and the actual Centrl Beds Council info is here:

www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/planning/...-traveller-plan.aspx

We need to address this situation, the potential damage to our village as in house prices, increased rate in burglaries, impact on the schools and we need to get a huge amount of response to this, especially at the meeting due to take place at Chicksands on 28th February.

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 9 months ago #967

• coletyke
  • Fresh Boarder
I have heard that there is a meeting in the Village Hall on the 11th Feburary at 7.30 pm regarding this issue. There is also a new Facebook Page called BLC proposed Traveller Sites. This is where I found out about the meeting. It quotes
"PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
On Monday 11th February at 7.30pm there is a meeting in the Village Hall.
Councillor Ian Shingler will be there to answer any questions you may have.
PLEASE NOTE : Both Barton Parish Council and Ian Shingler are doing everything they can to block these plans (so don't have a go at them)".

Word needs to spread about this as a lot of people are not aware of what is happening. Businesses in the industrial estate were told that it had been scrapped - this is not the case.

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 9 months ago #972

****************** STOP PRESS! ********************

A village meeting is to be held on Tuesday 19th February 2013 at 7.30pm at Barton Rovers Football Club. Cllr Ian Shingler will give villagers an update on Central Beds Council's agenda regarding site selection and there will be an open Questions and Answers session.

Spread the word and try to attend. The more people there, the better point we can get across!!

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 9 months ago #973

• admin
  • Administrator

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 9 months ago #974

• smudger
  • Fresh Boarder
Has anyone suggested a fighting fund yet? Fundraisng events?

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 9 months ago #975

NEW MEETING WITH COUNCILLOR IAN SHINGLER

Further to the Meeting at Barton Rovers on Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 7.30pm to discuss the proposed G&T sites, some new links via Central Bedfordshire Council's website have been added to the Facebook Page "BLC Proposed Traveller Sites". These give the reasons why the sites have progressed and been scored through to Stage 3 of the process.
Councillor Ian Shingler will be there to give residents an update.
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by vodka4angel. Reason: new meeting date

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 9 months ago #976

• admin
  • Administrator
Site Ref: Site 15
Site Address Land East of A6, West of Luton Road and South West of Barton-le-Clay
Number of pitches proposed To be confirmed

Development would impact negatively on the landscape and is on Green Belt land. There may also be an adverse impact on biodiversity. The site has a watercourse running through it. Provision of adequate infrastructure is unlikely to be a problem in this area. In addition, there are no known archaeological remains on site.

Score: 32/50 (Score with single school category: 29/40)

Site Ref: Site 116
Site Address 1 Old Acres, Barton Road, Pulloxhill
This is an existing site with 8 pitches (temporary permission has recently lapsed, this site is now categorized as unauthorized) The owner seeks authorization for the existing pitches with the option to extend site for up to an additional 10 pitches.

Development would have a limited impact on landscape and would not encourage the use of sustainable transport systems. However, it is a brownfield site so would not result in the loss of agricultural land. The site is not considered to be ecologically significant and there is no record of archaeological remains on site. There would be a positive impact on encouraging sustainable waste management.

Score: 18/50 (Score with single school category: 18/40)

No reference is made to the current single family use.
Pitches would rise from 8 to 18 (125% increase).

Source: Central Bedfordshire Council website.
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by admin.

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 9 months ago #977

• admin
  • Administrator
Site Ref: Site 16
Site Address Land West of A6, South of Faldo Road and West of Barton-le-Clay

The impact on the landscape is likely to be limited although development would result in the loss of agricultural land. There is potential for archaeological remains to be found on site. Development may encourage healthier lifestyles and the use of sustainable transport systems. Provision of adequate infrastructure is unlikely to be a problem in this area.

Score: 24/50 (Score with single school category: 23/40)

Source: Central Bedfordshire Council website.
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by admin.

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 9 months ago #978

• smudger
  • Fresh Boarder
After reading this, i am not sure all these meetings will come to anything. The council will do what they want. We need to find another way.

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11055...-statement-fact.html

Re: Proposed Gypsy and Traveller Sites 4 years, 9 months ago #979

• UncleBuck
  • Fresh Boarder
One thing that came out of the meeting last night was the fact that our schools are over subscribed, surely on this basis the council are not meeting our needs? I have a little 'un who will be going to school next year, the reason I moved here is partly the schooling, if local schools are already over subscribed how can there be any justification that gypsy/traveller children can automatically be given places?
On this basis alone surely the council are 'not meeting the needs of the existing community'? I will quite happily base my objections on this one point and if it's approved I will not be paying my council tax. If we have 100 households in the village who take the same approach that'll be a shortfall in their budget of nearly £200k, this us obviously a last resort but we know money talks with cbc.
what can they do, send us all to prison? I don't think so, there isn't enough room! Besides, i've got enough contacts in the media that if it came to that we could go national in our plight!
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
You are here: Village discussion forum