• Narrow Screen
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest

Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #688

• Chunky
  • Expert Boarder
Why do we need a supermarket? , for quick purchases then there is the co-op and just on the doorstep are a load of major supermarkets....

Sainsburys .. 3 miles
Tesco..... 4 miles
Lidl.... 4.5 miles
Waitrose... 5.5 miles
Waitrose... 6 miles
Asda.... 6 miles
Tesco..... 6 miles
Morrisons... 6 miles
Lidl.... 6 miles
Sainsburys .. 6 miles
Asda.... 7 miles
Sainsburys .. 7 miles
Morrisons... 7 miles
Sainsburys .. 7 miles
Morrisons... 9 miles
Sainsburys .. 10 miles
Tesco..... 11 miles

and thats just the ones that come to mind!!!!!

Supermarkets are land hungry (big buildings with massive car parks), they load up the the local roads with cars and create hotspots for vandalism and other antisocial problems.... no thank you. Likewise I see no need for industrial units within the village itself, there has always been units empty on the industrial estate for as long as I have worked there, plus then there are loads of new units coming on line at Silsoe (Wrest Park) and there there is all the farms that are diversifying in to light industrial use too, what I would like to see is affordable starter business units as the jump start local economies and get small business from local communities under way.

Barton does I think lack in leisure and social facilities, with greater number of kids in the village than ever its probably the worst it has been (as is the anti social behaviour and criminal damage incidentally!).... this though is a double edge sword as these sort of facilities cost money and its ok developers saying yes we will add it to the plan but somebody has to fund its build and MORE importantly fund its continual operation ( for example.."Luton’s first flagship Adventure Playground" blah blah.... "costing £800,000 to build" blah blah.... "is facing closure" blah blah).

Maybe there is call for better management of the facilities within the village, or even expansion, however I think having hundreds of extra houses to get a gym is not a good trade off. From memory there were 3 swimming pools in the village (Higham School, Ramsey School and Arnold School), I know 2 have been redeveloped to other uses (I assume due to under use or cost?) but suspect Arnold still has its pool, if so is there public access to it?

If we are throwing radical ideas out there, why not move the Hexton road allotments to the south side of the Bedford Road playing filed (its an open field in green belt so I doubt would be an issue with allotments and not houses) and use that site to build houses within the village boundary, its on a major road, near facilities and could for fill a big chunk of the future housing requirement, especially if they are affordable starter homes and not 5 bedroom palatial mansions!

Interesting discussion, anyway work beckons and the boss is hovering....
Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by Chunky.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #689

• topsy
  • Fresh Boarder
I heard about the plan to put a road in coming out at the top of Hexton Road over a year ago,so this is as you suggest just the start of something much bigger done by stealth. No suprise there then.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #691

• MarkB
  • Fresh Boarder
We moved here from Stevenage 13 years ago because of what and where Barton is. In my opinion it's places like Stevenage, Luton and Bedford that lend themselves to this size of development where "bolting it on" will not significantly change the fact those places are already enormous and they have an infrastructure to cope. The size of development being proposed here would totally change the face of Barton and not for the good. There may well be a national need for housing but turning villages into small towns is not the way to go and indeed surely looking at derelict sites in the places I mentioned before is the first step to meeting that need. Obviously the problem there is the cost and potential profit that could be made by any willing developer so this build is about what they can make out of it, not what they want to do for Barton. We drove up to the Wixam development near Bedford at the weekend and I would be interested to know how many more homes are being built there as that appears to just keep going. There is also the Silsoe project and I see on Luton Today online there are plans for 4,000 homes on land by the hospice near Streatley. Maybe in time we will all end up as one huge housing estate but for now my vote is leave Barton as it is.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #692

• Villager1
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Mustang,
Back from holiday, copy of the plans you want available anytime you require them.
Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by Villager1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mustang

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #693

• Mustang
  • Fresh Boarder
All this talk about building home's, shopping centre, hotel ect. How about the owner of the land change the land from a field to tree. Yes people need house's but if we don't look after this plant then whats the point. All we hear about is we are destroying the plant by destroying the forest so why not change the land to a forest picnic area and a local walking area and a cycle track.
Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by Mustang.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #698

• admin
  • Administrator
Many thanks to the poster who has informed the Community Website in reference to a post above, the swimming pool at Arnold School (now called Arnold Academy) has been turned into an outdoor classroom and sensory garden.

So to our knowledge there is no longer a public swimming pool in the village.
Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by admin.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #699

• Villager1
  • Fresh Boarder
Understand your predicament. However, do not believe that any developer will provide first time housing, they are only in it to make money.
That means attracting people to move upwards to expensive housing. We all went through your situation in our earlier years, but had to make sacrifices.
For three years we did not go out except on freebies. Staying in the in-laws front room at night. Even when we had bought a house. No TV for three years
No carpets/Freezer/Dishwasher/Washing Machine etc. No visits to the Pub, No Holidays. These things all came later when we could afford them. We also bought an old car for £100 for transport.
To get on the housing ladder is a painful experience, but the sacrifice is worth it in the end.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #700

• Chunky
  • Expert Boarder
BBC are quoting Central Bedfordshire Council as having said publicly that Barton's "green belt will remain until 2031"...... cant find the exact document or when and where (and by whom) it was said though.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #701

• Mustang
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's a link to a BBC News site about The development.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-18422434

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #702

• Chunky
  • Expert Boarder
reading between the lines that to me says that a development of a smaller scale may be acceptable, it doesn't say... any development is not acceptable.
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
You are here: Village discussion forum