• Narrow Screen
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest

Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #643

• Jenna
  • Platinum Boarder
You are thinking very much along the lines of the planning application that was drafted in 2006 by JB Planning Associates, LDA Design and Templeview Developments Ltd.

Templeview Developments Ltd, was established by Mr Stephen Doyle & Mrs Linda Doyle (of Kitchen End House, Kitchen End, Silsoe) back in December 1995 to buy and sell land for development, and is the current owner of the land in the new plans (in the 2006 application the land south of Higham Road was owned by another company). This development was to total an estimated 1100 homes.

The full document is available to view in the Barton-Le-Clay Library. ( I have confirmed this this morning).
Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by Jenna.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #644

• Jenna
  • Platinum Boarder
I have redrawn the 2006 development on to a modern aerial photo to give a better idea of the above plan (and road layout).

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #658

• Jenna
  • Platinum Boarder
There is a Parish Council meeting this evening, I am sure this subject will be raised at some point.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #661

• bebe
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello, has anyone considered families and people like myself and my fiancee who are desparately trying to get on the property ladder?
I presume those of you who have objected are mostly home owners? and are not struggling to buy your first home. The first time buyers scheme and shared ownership is the only option for a lot of people trying to get out of overpriced rented accommodation.
I can abosulutely appreciate your concerns regarding the detrimental impact of a new delevopement on your village, as anyone would, but people need houses to live in! It might be difficult to stop this new developement going ahead, but would it not be better to get involved in the proposal and making suggestions as to extra facilities needed and improving the services offered in Barton to meet the shortfall in doctors and post office etc? An improvement in faciities can only be a positive thing for all in Barton? Yes infrastructure will be an issue but this should also be addressed in concerns to the planners and the local council. An outright no to this developement is very shortsighted and surely an employment opportunity like a hotel or leisure centre can only improve things further in the currect economic/employment climate. This developement will bring more money into the village and therefore will be a benefit to both shops and pubs. I can see both sides to the argument but we should try to make this an opportunity for Barton and not just look at the negatives. Voice your opintions but do it constructively. Many thanks

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #662

• Chunky
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Bebe, problem is these property developers are a bit like fleas on a dog, sure one flea is not a problem but they never stop with just the one and when they get a toe hold its much harder to get read of hundreds than just the one!

I can understand your point of view, the prospects for getting on the property ladder must be daunting these days however it's not a good enough reason to trash the village. The last big development was the same (loads of things promised and nothing but houses built (the majority I might add are not exactly 'starter homes' either!) so we are all very weary we wont get conned like that again.

As for new shops and businesses, ummm sure the jobs would be welcome but at what price.

Personally I'd like to see no building on green belt at all (it's green belt for a reason) and a 100% move to infill and site regeneration.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #663

• Jenna
  • Platinum Boarder
nice to read a different point of view, thank you bebe.

My personal opinion is the constant onward march of development nationally will at some point effect Barton as it will all other cities, towns and villages, it is more a case of proportion and I think a development of this size is disproportional to that of the village.

I feel that well designed and appropriate development is natural and to give an example, the excellent 'Clipstone Mews' which suits the area, has negligible impact and yet provides quality, affordable, housing (although it would have been nice if they had not bulldozed the village lockup).

I am under the impression (requires confirmation) that Barton will at some point need to contribute to the housing pool locally and I have herd the figure of 150 homes banded around, this is a great deal different from the 500+ ( I estimate the new development to be around 650-700 in real terms) of 'Barton Fields'.

Finding space for an additional 150 homes in the village using old sites and in fill is I would think plausible, with minimal visual impact, disruption and detriment to the current infrastructure and public services.

Changes that have (or are about to be) put in place by government I am informed will go some way to ensure that local, low cost affordable housing is a requirement of any development, there are also provisions that there is some form of community involvement in the ownership and management of these properties. Its not a subject that I am clued up on and have approached a local individual who I hope will add to the discussion the facts on the changes and requirements.
Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by Jenna.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #664

• walking42
  • Fresh Boarder
I also think this development is a no no. And think it rather convenient that these people hold a meeting,when it is one of the main holiday times, it was also held in a small hall and some people of the village did not get a flyer through the door.Did they want the people of this village to have say? Or was this meeting just a sham!!!!!!!!!!!.And as some one as all ready said,What about all the new homes in Silso that are about to be built. And Wicksom's south of bedford was held up because they could not sell them.I would think that only 10% of the houses have been built on that site so-far. that meens a lot more houses to be built.So we dont want any more built here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #665

• walking42
  • Fresh Boarder
I understand what your saying,but these people do not have your interest at heart.If you look at the infill between the bypass and the village you will find they never done much for first time buyers there. And there were a lot of promises then. these people can not be trusted they are only interested money and not you or I !!!!!

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #672

• Vril
  • Fresh Boarder
I can understand both points of view, however there are some things this village needs, and more houses may not be one you want (although more houses are required nationally) and we can not be NIMBY's!

The village requires a
leisure centre, (GYM, Swimming Pool etc) not only for the kids but for the adults to.
A decent village shop, not a Co-Op with prices that are so high getting a small shop requires you to have a fortune!
Some housing, there are some people that want to buy a home, some that need a home and we can't deny people that basic right

IF the first two where guaranteed and the housing was reduced I think it would be something that could be a huge boost for this village.

I am going to add these are my opinions and if you disagree please say, however do not slate one persons view without reason.

Re: Building development at Higham Road and A6, Barton 5 years, 5 months ago #684

• wildenferg
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd like to bring to your attention the village (as was) of Kesgrave in Suffolk, in 1981 my parents moved there, population of just under 5000, similar to Barton-le-Clay now.

Then, it had 1 pub, 1 Post Office, a few shops, chippy and very few social problems, a great move for a peaceful planned retirement.

In 1989, Grange Farm was sold for housing development and this is where the population soared (now approximately 14000).

Since January 2000 it has been a 'Town' complete with the elevated Town (was Parish) Council......and now has a new supermarket, surgery, school, day care centre, community centre, 2 pubs, a frequent bus service into Ipswich, all the usual things you'd expect as small town to have.

What it also has is an increase in anti-social behaviour, grafitti, frequently vandalised play areas, loss of 'community' spirit and a feeling (especially to the elderly) of being trapped in their homes, particularly at night/weekends.

Oh, I almost forgot, Grange Farm isn't finished yet either, there are more dwellings to come.....
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
You are here: Village discussion forum