• Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest

Vandalism in Barton
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Vandalism in Barton

Vandalism in Barton 6 years, 3 months ago #420

I no longer live in the middle of Barton but I do come into the village most days and I have noticed that there is a lot of vandalism in Barton, I'm not sure if I just never noticed it before or it has become more prevalent in recent months?

Is there a phone box in the village that works, I doubt there is one that isn't vandalised, and what has happened to the bus shelters too. We seemed to have spate of graffiti on everything is this Luton over spill or has the village managed get its very own mindless spray can Picasso.

As were about to go in to school holidays is the worst to come?
Last Edit: 6 years, 3 months ago by pipeandslippers18.

Re: Vandalism in Barton 6 years, 3 months ago #423

• Apothecary
  • Fresh Boarder
Alas, there is also an increase in the amount of damage to wastebins/walls/fences/gardens that back onto the various alleys that crisscross our village. There also seems little appetite from the Police or any other authority for that matter to tackle this ‘low level’ crime.

Re: Vandalism in Barton 6 years, 3 months ago #424

• Jenna
  • Platinum Boarder
After a police officer remarked... 'kids need somewhere to play' when reporting vandalism and property damage, I have to ask why bother!

Who do you think is causing the vandalism, as we have relatively low crime figures is it kids?

Re: Vandalism in Barton 6 years, 3 months ago #426

• admin
  • Administrator
It is interesting the topic of vandalism has been raised, I recently took these pictures of some of the damage to keep a log.

There needs to be something formally done to sort out the telephone box's.

Also had the pleasure of catching this group of kids ringing one of the beech trees at the end of Old Road!

efforts maybe made to find out their parents and inform them of the damage they were trying to cause.
Last Edit: 6 years, 3 months ago by admin.

Re: Vandalism in Barton 5 years, 2 months ago #728

• tharden
  • Fresh Boarder
Though we have all gone those years when roaming around carefree would almost automatically lead into something adrenaline worthy, I just don't get the idea of vandalizing on places that aren't supposed to be dealt with.

I would get that a few places on the suburbs would be worthy of it but nothing more and that would be a big cause of problems just like that.

Re: Vandalism in Barton 5 years, 2 months ago #731

• UncleBuck
  • Fresh Boarder
"Rumours" persist that kids from other areas keep coming to the village so giving the kids a bit of credit who live here you'll probably find it's not all their doing.
If the powers that be hadn't decided to sell off the community centre so that "The Gills" could increase their property empire and instead decided to refurbish it then at least children from the village would have had somewhere to go instead of hanging around bus shelters and phone boxes.......

Re: Vandalism in Barton 5 years, 2 months ago #747

• Mustang
  • Fresh Boarder
Well you should see the green in Saxon crescent it's starting to look like a mud pile in the centre. They play football on there but not 2-8 children oh no I counted at one point 38 teenagers yelling and swearing, they play cricket with a real cricket ball and use and metal bus stop as a goal when there are only a couple off them playing. And just the other day there were a group of about 7 teenagers up the tree yelling and they do live in the village as I've seen them around. They have damaged the trees buy bouncing on the branches and snapped them off so there is just a dangerous stump sticking out.

Somedays there out the at the weekend from 9am till 10pm Ok so it's not vandalism in a way but it's still anti social behaviour.

I contact the local council (not our land so not our problem), local police (well if we have someone in the area they will have a look) and beds council (there's nothing we can do). I personally and some of the local residents would like to see the green converted into more of a garden area with more trees and bushes.

I used to play in the village but we had places to go like highman school or we would cycle upto the rec and play up there away from the house were we could make as much noise as we liked. This village has no were for teenagers to go.

Re: Vandalism in Barton 5 years, 2 months ago #748

• Jenna
  • Platinum Boarder
I was always a little surprised why the new playing field was established where it was, its so close to the only other playing field in the village (Arnold Rec) that it virtually makes the old rec redundant (I did and still do have my suspicions it was for ulterior 'building' motives!). Surely it would have been better to have placed the facility at the north end of the village where there was village expansion (and probably will be again in the future at some point)....

The subject of local policing... or rather the lack of it, has been raised in connection to a few subjects in the village lately, vandalism and anti-social behaviour do seam to be at the forefront of the issues too. I did hear of a plan by Ian Shingler (the villages Central Beds councillor) to obtain our own PCSO unit within the village, however this would require a substantial amount of funding from the village in some way (off the top of my head £15,000 comes to mind).
Last Edit: 5 years, 2 months ago by Jenna.

Re: Vandalism in Barton 5 years, 2 months ago #751

• Chunky
  • Expert Boarder
I was under the impression that if the area was parish or county council owned they had the right to dictate what happened on the ground regardless of if there is public access, so they should well be in thier rights to designate the area as 'no ball games' which should be enforceable by the police.

Re: Vandalism in Barton 5 years, 2 months ago #754

• Mustang
  • Fresh Boarder
The area is central Bedfordshire land as they tend to it, and yes it would be nice to have a sign saying no ball game like there used to be long time ago a black and white sign but it was taken down when they replaced the bus stop with the metal one.

We have called the council and sent them a signed protishion but no go. When I spoke to them there reply was well we could put up a sign but we can't police it so we won't. So I spoke to the police who said yes we can police it but we can't ask the council to put up a sign what a waste of time with to much red tape. So head and wall go together very well.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
You are here: Village discussion forum