Getting out around Barton-Le-Clay
Footpath Walks around Barton-Le-Clay
( 13 Articles )
Barton-Le-Clay lies at the foot of the northern slope of the Barton Hills on what was once the main Bedford to Luton road. The land rises from north to south, the is village situated on a strong clay soil with clay and chalk subsoil. The church stands to the south east of the village centre and with the rectory and group of houses to the west and north, forms a hamlet known as Church End.
The large conservation area comprises two parts. A rectangular area of land in the south is focused around Old Road, Hexton Road and Church Road including the hamlet surrounding the Church of St Nicholas and meadows. To the north is a long narrow area comprising the village centre on Bedford Road and houses on Sharpenhoe Road.
Barton-Le-Clay, literally, Barton in the Clay, derives its name from its position being sited where the clay soil starts under Barton Hill. The over lordship was vested in the Crown at the date of the Domesday Survey, remaining so until the Dissolution when the manor was taken in hand by the king and annexed to the manor of Ampthill in 1542. The manor formerly belonged to the monks of Ramsey; it was given to the Ramsey abbey, Huntingdonshire in 1044 by Eadnoth, bishop of Dorchester. The grant was confirmed by Edward the Confessor in 1066, by William the Conqueror in 1078 and again by Edward III in 1334. At the time of the Domesday in 1086 the manor was assessed at eleven hides worth ten pounds. Barton had many mills which took advantage of the numerous streams which rose in the hills.
Central Bedfordshire Council, Conservation Area Appraisal 2009.